Friday, December 5, 2014

RADARLANGUAGE Best of 2014 ...or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Listen To Guitar Solos




I haven't done this every year, but there have been a lot of killer records that came out this year. In no particular order here are some of my favorites:




Steve Gunn – Way Out Weather
Despite some side projects, Gunn’s true followup to his superlative “Time Off” continues the tradition of laid back, psychedelic vocals, excellent Takoma-esque guitar work and solid rhythm from John Trucsinski and Justin Tripp. Where Time Off was a straightforward trio record, Way Out Weather expands on the instrumentation and adds banjos, lap steel, harp and even some synthesizer.


Ryley Walker – All Kinds of You
I’ve been loving this record since I picked it up a few months ago. Walker, like Steve Gunn, has brought back the classic experimental folk/guitar soli style to the fore, biting of a nice chunk of Bert Jansch and Pentangle in the process. Seriously killer stuff.


Run the Jewels – Run the Jewels 2
I don’t need to say much about this record that hasn’t already been said. It’s one of the smartest, angriest and downright bangin’-est rap records I’ve heard in a minute.





Schoolboy Q – Oxymoron
Man of the Year and Collard Greens will climb inside of your brain and never leave.



The War on Drugs – Lost in the Dream
This was a total surprise record for me. I would probably punch myself in the balls for liking this record 10 years ago. The dude distills the most indulgent and awesome things about 80s Tom Petty, post-Blood on the Tracks Dylan and Dire Straits and adds a healthy dollop of psychedelic fuzz. I was telling someone recently that this record made me like guitar solos (Television and Thin Lizzy notwithstanding).



Pallbearer – Fountains of Burden
Heavy, melodic doom. Another solid hitter from Pallbearer. Slowly creeping their way up my list of favorite metal bands.




Spoon – They Want My Soul
Rent I Pay is one of the best S1T1s in Spoon’s discography. And that’s saying something. This record is a little bit funkier and looser than Transference. In my opinion, Spoon is the best straight up rock and roll band around right now (further solidified by that stinker of an album Black Keys put out this year)



Tinariwen – Emmaar
Tinariwen record all of their albums in the desert. Due to political strife in their native Mali, they recorded Emmaar in Joshua Tree. Not only is this record killer, but I had the chance to see Tinariwen both this year and last year and they put on a HELL of a show. If you get the chance, go check out these desert blues badasses.



Chet Faker – Built on Glass
“Gold” was probably one of my favorite tracks of this year. Soulful, funky and weird in equal measure. This dude has the formula DOWN. Also this video slays.



Wye Oak – Shriek           
Jenn Wasner switched from guitar to bass on this record. The result is a little funkier, a little more tightened up without losing any of Wye Oak’s signature vaguely creepy, mournfulness. Also the bassline in The Tower is one of the most awesome basslines ever.



Dangers – Five O’Clock Shadows at the Edge of the Western World
I was telling a friend recently that I would put Dangers’ previous record, “Messy, Isn’t It?” up with bands like Refused in terms of willingness to just write brutal riffs and get real weird with it. Five O’Clock Shadows… despite its cumbersome name is another slab of fucking pissed off, literate hardcore. Like Everytime I Die if they didn’t buy into their own Southern Cock Rock Bullshit. Now that I'm out on the West Coast, I'm psyched to see these dudes live. Looks like a killer show.

I'm sure I left a lot out. Got bones to pick? Leave me a comment or flip me off in the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment